Monday, February 28, 2011

New week, new challenges...

Juan came in this morning, & we think we got USB 2.0 support installed on VirtualBox, but we weren't sure how to test. Emailed Sachin & Vaibhav for guidance. To help with testing, Mike installed wires on the screw terminals of the board for a more reliable power connection (pic below).


In the meantime, while awaiting instructions, we just went ahead and ran a couple of the .vi files. They seemed like they might be working, but it is hard to tell since we don't know what they are supposed to do exactly. Here is one of them. We may try supplying a pulse from a waveform generator to one of the PMT inputs, and see if we get anything out.


Juan is also working on installing XP on a partition of the Acer, as a secondary option. However, he is being slowed now by persistent problems with the on/off power button on the machine. At the moment, we are unable to turn the power on. Based on gradual degradation of the button's reliability over time, I think it's a mechanical problem. We opened the case and looked at the power switch mechanism but it doesn't seem to be user-serviceable. We are probably going to have to return it to the manufacturer for a warranty repair/replacement. Hopefully they can preserve the hard drive. Or maybe we should just send it back without the drive.

Actually, we just now managed to "hot-wire" it using the connector to the front panel (hanging loose in middle of image below) - blue wire and white wire 2nd from end closest to blue wire; i.e., pins 2 and 4 counting from that end. Only a momentary contact is required.


The XP install on the Acer is almost finished - we are just waiting now for Juan to email the license key.

Meanwhile, Ray wanted me to check on Xmath status from LeCroy, but I can't log into iRattler - I think they must have expired my FAMMAIL password. Need to fix. OK, did that, but the budget check on XMath is still not working. Asked Ray to try it from his account.

Meanwhile, my data-collection run that I started last Friday is still going. Going to try to let it continue for a few more days. Still seeing some weird behavior of the LED color codes though, not always matching what's expected given the GPS data. Reviewed my code & it looks correct. But I don't want to interrupt my run to debug this, so I guess I'll just worry about it later.

Besides all the above, my major task for this week: Start working on graphs in Scilab.

No comments:

Post a Comment