Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wins day

This morning's planned phone meeting with Sachin was postponed to 4 pm because Mike had an appointment with his eye doctor.

The XMath requisition is still outstanding. I am still unable to do the budget check for some unknown reason. Ray said it was not a budget issue or an EIT hold, and that I should talk to Ronnie Mackey in Sponsored Research. I tried to call him at 1 pm but he was on another call. So instead I left him a voice mail. Will try him again later today.

Next agenda item for today: Identify a journal that might be suitable for a paper on the GPS timing system. For example, the Berns et al. paper "GPS Time Synchronization in School-Network Cosmic Ray Detectors" was published in IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 51(3), June 2004. This paper was mostly about the design of the timing system. Mike needs to read it more carefully and find some related literature.

Here's what looks like another useful paper: "GPS Time Transfer," Lewandowski & Thomas, 1991. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=84976&abstractAccess=no&userType=inst . However I am sadly out of printer ink again. Time to go to Staples.

It's just really too bad that this department doesn't have a staff person in charge of keeping a stockroom stocked with office supplies, and that this university's purchasing office never fulfills my requisitions for these kinds of things, and so I, as an individual researcher, am forced to waste my valuable time, and my personal money buying ink cartridges and paper for the lab printer, so that I don't suffer excessive eyestrain from trying to read long research articles on the computer screen. Especially when I am still recovering from my eye surgery!

OK, anyway, I got my cartridge & printed out a number of papers. Ray & I had our phone meeting with Sachin at 4 pm, and he promised to provide us some documentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment