Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Rip out its Guts and Start Over!

My plan for today is to start developing the new skeleton Quartus project for the FEDM board. Actually, instead of entirely ripping out the guts of the current design, I am thinking of initially just segregating it into a sub-module, so that we can quickly refer back to parts of it if/when that is needed.

First, though, I wrote a recommendation later for David Grosby, which he needs to give to payroll for them to file along with his other employment paperwork for his summer appointment. (I'll wait to do the letter for the other intern, Darryl, until he confirms that he is joining us for sure.)

Earlier today I also found an email from one more prospective intern, Michael Sprouse, but unfortunately I had to tell him that we already had made the offers. However, I invited him to still volunteer to help out if he wished.

Darryl still needs to get with Dr. O'Neal to talk about his appointment - he missed him yesterday.

I stuffed Sachin's design into a submodule so we can still access it as needed in our design, while removing all the clutter from the top-level schematic.

I then verified that we can re-load the original design onto the FEDM board and it still works correctly. (Ditto for my new version where I put it in a sub-module, although I only tested the threshold-setting VI, not the high-speed data communication one.)

We then configured Quartus on the Acer XP partition to use the license server on COSMICi (Mike's Dell), so the students could start working.

Then I showed the students how to put together a basic Nios system design in SOPC Builder. I started with just a NiosII/f, 64K on-chip memory (128K wouldn't fit on the FPGA with Sachin's stuff still on there, although to be fair I don't know if he's actually using the on-chip memory), and regular+JTAG UARTs. (The goal here is to do a quick test of our serial communication capability (which Ray wanted to see) before we start doing more complicated stuff.)

We created the skeleton firmware development project for the Nios II IDE, based on a "hello world" template. Still need to insert code to open UART_0 and print to it.

I identified the pins needed for the serial port and created the pin assignments for them and wired them to the SOPC system symbol in the top-level schematic. Next, need to test this system within the Nios II IDE, and see if it prints "Hello World" to the console as expected.

After that, add code to print some text to the extra serial port, and view it in UwTerminal or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment