Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tue., Dec. 13th

Some to-dos for today:

  • [/] Re-solder SMA connector to OCXO board.
  • [/] Re-test DC signal level (and received signal strength) on the PMT_3 (a.k.a. SyncPulse) signal node, to see if I've successfully moved the DC level closer to 0V (GND) by assigning all 12 of the input pins fed by that node to be LVDS inputs (which should have no pullup resistors on those ports).  This may not affect the signal strength though (that will probably require removing the extra capacitor, C148).
I should probably test the received signal strength on the actual PMT3 input to see if it differs from the TimingSig input (it shouldn't, but I should probably check to make sure).

Sometime soon, I also need to start working on my slides about the Python server architecture.

After re-testing the DC signal level of the PMT_3 node, there is no improvement since the board was re-burnt with the new pin assignments.

Emailed Sachin to see if he has any clue where the +2.5V DC bias might be coming from.

Talked with Ray about removing the capacitor C148.  My suggestion was to just use pliers to yank it off, or else try to push it aside with the tip of a hot soldering iron.  There are no other components that we need nearby it or on the other side of the board.  However, Ray wants to be extra careful since this is the only one of these boards that we have.  He is ordering a kit called "Chip Quik" ($135) that is supposed to be for safely removing surface-mount components.  Some of the tools in that kit might be helpful, although we already have the main things I think we would need... A soldering iron and a pick.  Anyway, no big hurry I guess.

In the meantime, maybe I'll work on my slides about the Python server to present to the students at the workshop in early January (which we still need to schedule).

Started working on the presentation slides.  Got as far as finishing the rough module hierarchy based on my notes.  Saved it in the Server Code folder on Dropbox.  Still need to go through the modules one by one explaining their main features.

No comments:

Post a Comment