Monday, July 18, 2011

Things to Do Today

Things to do today (or at least start doing):

[/] Check on why I only got half of my last paycheck - call Sonja.  She confirmed it was just an end-of-year processing glitch and that we should get paid for the missing time next payday.

[/] Figure out why shared network drive didn't work; get it working. - OK, I believe the problem is fixed now.  First I created a new group called Quartus Developers and gave this group ownership of C:\SHARED\FEDM_code, and put all of us into it, as well as a new user "Test User" which I created for testing purposes.  Then I also gave the NETWORK user group full access to C:\SHARED\FEDM_code.  Then I turned on network sharing for C:\SHARED\FEDM_code (instead of just the parent folder C:\SHARED).  Then from the Test User account, I mounted \\COSMICi\FEDM_code\q91 as drive letter Q:\, and then I was finally able to open the Quartus project and the files within it from the Test User account.  I'm not sure if all of these steps were strictly necessary, or if security could have been battened down a little tighter while still allowing access, but hey, it worked.  Next I have to check and make sure that Test User can also still access the project from the other computer.  OK, that works too (after setting up the Test User account on the Acer and pointing Quartus in it at the floating license server at 1800@192.168.0.2).  However, I think we will have problem if the Quartus project files are open on two different computers at once... So we'll need to be careful.

[/] Check out current status of student work.  Pull their stuff back into the main development line.  Get rid of the extra working directory in Dropbox. - David and Darrell are here.  Ah, and Tyler for a while.  David says they can re-merge the working directories.  Darrel says he thinks he found the problem in the code - I will look at it.  Details below.

[/] Make forward progress on testing & debugging of input capture datapath. Hopefully finish it this week.

[/] Check on status of SMA jacks we ordered last month.  Push 'em along...  And solder 'em on when they arrive. - OK, we got 'em.  Still need to solder. [ ]


[ ] Continue development of Nios C code; get to the point of testing IC datapath with it.

[ ] Develop DAC <--> PIO interface; program DAC levels in C.

[ ] Test with real analog inputs.  (It would be nice to have the SMA jacks first...)

More details of things accomplished today:
  • The guys re-merged the working directories (and moved the temporary one out of Dropbox).
  • Yep, Darrel correctly identified a bug in my code - I didn't update the state properly in one state - I fixed that and it solved the sequencing problems.
  • He also identified that my code was outputting all 6 data pairs instead of only the valid ones (for crossed threshold).  I fixed that and now the output streams are the right length.
  • Darrel then modified his code to output 0 at the end (for cleaner output).
  • We realized we were using the wrong version of the test module but managed to retrieve the correct one from Dropbox's archives of old versions.
  • We changed the logic to correctly handle the first word (number of thresholds).
  • We then had a bug where there was no output after the first word - this was due to using <= instead of = when testing a logic flag!  (1-character error).
  • Then the overall form of the sequence was right (threshold, zero, deltas) but the deltas were all wrong.  I examined my FIFO code and realized that I had swapped the order of the leading & trailing edge longwords within each 128-bit chunk of my data packet (had leading=MSLW on input, and trailing=MSLW on output).  After fixing that we are getting all right outputs.

YouTube video of results (also posted to lab Tweet stream):

No comments:

Post a Comment